Introduction to Spitsbergen on Ocean Adventurer
Discover the shivery essence of the Arctic as you explore Spitsbergen and its outlying islands. Search for wildlife at every turn, and be prepared for close encounters with lumbering polar bears, noisy walruses and huge colonies of seabirds. This is the largest island in Svalbard and boasts an astonishing array of wild, natural landscapes. Hike flowering tundra at the base of the 14th of July Glacier, roam the rocky, cliff-lined shores of Alkefjellet or grab your snowshoes for an inland excursion to the abandoned whaling sites of Smeerenburg. Along the rugged western coast, be captivated by untouched fjords and discover the many enchanting shades of ice. This trip captures the icy spirit of the polar regions, giving you a unique perspective of the history and geology of this mystical place at the northern reaches of the world.
- Uncover the incredible landscape of Spitsbergen, from the quirky northernmost city of Longyearbyen and brilliantly blue glaciers like the ‘14th July Glacier’, to stunning fjords and towering mountains and cliffs
- Experience the unique and memorable sensation of 24 hours of sunlight
- Scour sheets of ice and hopefully be rewarded with unforgettable sightings of the ruler of the Arctic – the Polar Bear
- With endless daylight there are also endless wildlife-viewing opportunities – elusive Arctic foxes, breaching whales, lounging masses of walruses, and enchanting seabirds dotted along the cliffs of Alkefjellet
- Choose to get even closer to this amazing environment with optional activities like snowshoeing, hiking, and gliding along pristine waters between icebergs in a sea kayak
- Adventure and Active
Ocean Adventurer has long been a fleet favorite among guests and crew who've appreciated the charm and intimacy of this 128-passenger vessel, its ample outdoor deck space, numerous cozy spots to socialize onboard - and the outdoor jacuzzi. A few years ago, Ocean Adventurer underwent a multimillion-dollar renovation involving a talented team of marine architects, engineers, interior designers and polar expedition specialists. Quark Expeditions is proud of the enhancements to the much-loved polar vessel - which subsequently won the Travel Weekly Magellan Award for Overall Small Cruise Ship (500 passengers or under).
The refurbishments now enjoyed by guests:
- A refreshed, contemporary new look and feel throughout the ship
- The addition of six new twin cabins and three new suites
- All existing cabins furnished with new soft furnishings and brand new bathrooms
- Remodelling of common areas such as the Lounge and Dining Room
- Major technical enhancements, such as two new Rolls Royce engines, which increase fuel efficiency and minimize carbon footprint.
Our leaders are born and raised in-count ...